“If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods.”
Ollie Schneider - CEO Deercreative
Dals or lentils are packed with proteins and especially in a vegetarian diet, lentils are the main source of protein. It is amazing how this humble yellow moong dal can be made into so many recipes from a plain dal khichdi to mangodi ki sabzi to the traditional Indian desserts like moong dal halwa. Fresh dill should be added only at the end of cooking, much like fresh coriander leaves.
- Wash the dal in 3-4 changes of water and soak in room temperature water for 10 mins while you finish the rest of preparation.
- Drain and pressure cook with salt, turmeric and water for 2 whistles.
- Remove the cooker from heat and open only after all the steam has escaped on its own.
- While the dal is cooking, heat ghee in a pan. Add hing and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add ginger, and green chillies. Sauté for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and a little salt. Mix well. Cook for about 5 mins with occasional stirring.